Shawn Eric Spencer
Spencer, circa 2006; David Smith
- Missing Since 04/04/2006
- Missing From Camdenton, Missouri
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 08/07/1979 (43)
- Age 26 years old
- Height and Weight 5'10 - 6'0, 150 - 165 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A white t-shirt and cut-off blue jeans.
- Medical Conditions Spencer suffers from asthma. He is allergic to iodine and seafood.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Blond hair, brown eyes. Spencer has acne scars on his face and back and an appendectomy scar on his abdomen. He has previously broken his clavicle and has also had hernia surgery. Spencer has numerous tattoos on both arms and legs, including a two-inch black 8-ball with a red alien behind it on his shoulder blade, a Jester with a skull face on his upper arm, and mechanical parts on his lower leg.
Details of Disappearance
Spencer was last seen in Camdenton, Missouri on April 4, 2006. He was working in the food service industry at the time. His dog, a Rottweiler/Bullmastiff mix, disappeared with him. Spencer has never been heard from again.
His mother didn't report him missing until April 18, 2007 because he had previously dropped out of sight for months at a time. He has previously resided in California and worked in convenience stores, as an auto detailer and as a laborer. Spencer's family stated he loved animals and would sometimes go without food so his pets could eat.
In June 2015, David W. Smith was arrested and charged with Spencer's murder. A photo of Smith is posted with this case summary. The police got a break in the investigation when Smith's wife, his former roommate, and associate of Smith's named Jake East gave statements to them about the homicide.
The witnesses said Spencer and East had gone to Smith's home to sell him marijuana, but the deal went bad and Smith shot Spencer to death with a .38 special, ripped his teeth out, and dismembered and burned the body.
In November 2016, Smith pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter and abandonment of a corpse in Spencer's case. He was sentenced to nineteen years in prison.
Authorities don't believe they will be able to recover Spencer's remains. Foul play is suspected in his case due to the circumstances involved.
- Camden County Sheriff's Office 573-346-2243
Updated 7 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated November 12, 2017; details of disappearance updated.