Cooks, circa 1979
- Missing Since 05/17/1979
- Missing From Austin, Texas
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race Black
- Date of Birth 08/14/1960 (62)
- Age 18 years old
- Height and Weight 5'3, 95 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A white shirt and blue jeans.
- Distinguishing Characteristics African-American female. Black hair, brown eyes. Cooks's ears are pierced.
Details of Disappearance
Cooks was last seen in Austin, Texas on May 16, 1979. She called her sister at lunchtime and asked for a ride because she had an appointment with her probation officer. Her sister was unable to give her a ride. She would normally walk to the probation meetings with her brothers, but that day she decided to walk there alone.
Cooks's mother was cooking a meal at the time, and it happened to be Cooks's favorite food. Her mother tried to get her to eat before she left the house, but Cooks refused. She said, however, that she would eat when she got back and she was looking forward to it. She left her mother's home in the 1100 block of San Bernard and started the two-and-a-half-mile trip to the probation office in the 1800 block of east 38th Street. She did make it to her appointment, but never arrived home and has never been heard from again.
According to Cooks's sister, she would be unlikely to go away with a stranger. Her sister believes she is dead and was possibly harmed by someone she knew. Cooks is one of ten children. Her parents are now deceased. Her case remains unsolved.
- Austin Police Department 512-974-5210
Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated May 8, 2023; picture added.