Sondra Denise Barrington
Barrington, circa 2002; Thomas Jessie Crews Jr.
- Missing Since 10/10/2002
- Missing From Arcadia, Florida
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Date of Birth 04/20/1982 (41)
- Age 20 years old
- Height and Weight 5'4 - 5'6, 130 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description Blue and green hospital scrubs, a gold rope necklace, a matching bracelet, blue/green hospital scrubs and a silver ring with an X on top on her right hand.
- Associated Vehicle(s) Silver four-door Kia (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes. Barrington has a medium complexion. Half the nail is missing on each of her big toes. Some agencies give her eye color as brown.
Details of Disappearance
Barrington was last seen at her place of work, Desoto Memorial Hospital, which is located at the 900 block of North Roberts Avenue in Arcadia, Florida. She clocked out of work at approximately 6:00 p.m. on October 10, 2002, and has never been heard from again. She may have been seen at 6:30 p.m. at a road construction site along U.S. Highway 17, near Carson Street within DeSoto County, but this sighting has not been confirmed.
On October 11, the day after Barrington's disappearance, her silver four-door Kia was found stuck and abandoned three miles from the hospital, northbound on Highway 17, near where she was allegedly seen. Her purse and most of her other personal belongings were inside but her pager and car keys were missing. Her parents reported her missing that same day.
In July 2004, over a year and a half after Barrington disappeared, authorities charged her boyfriend, Thomas Jessie Crews Jr., with second-degree murder in connection with her case.
Crews and Barrington have a young son together and shared joint custody of him at the time of her disappearance. They had a tumultuous relationship and police had been called to their residence more than a dozen times to investigate complaints of domestic violence. They had been ordered not to contact one another but both of them continually violated the orders.
Barrington was scheduled to testify in court against Crews on October 11, the day her car was found. Authorities believe Crews killed Barrington the night of her disappearance and dumped her body somewhere in Hardee County, Florida. He was convicted of her murder in September 2006 and sentenced to life in prison. A photograph of Crews is posted with this case summary.
Barrington resided on Platt Road in Wachula in Hardee County at the time of her disappearance; that county's authorities are handling the investigation and agencies name Wachula as the place of her disappearance. Although her remains have not been found, foul play is strongly suspected in her case due to the circumstances involved.
- Hardee County Sheriff's Office 863-773-0304
Updated 6 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated October 25, 2010; details of disappearance updated.