Stefanie Kelly Stroh
Stroh, circa 1987
- Missing Since 10/15/1987
- Missing From Wells, Nevada
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Date of Birth 09/26/1966 (56)
- Age 21 years old
- Height and Weight 5'5, 130 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description Black corduroy pants, a black tank top, a black shirt with elbow-length sleeves, brown leather ankle-high shoes and a wooden bead necklace.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Stroh has a brown birthmark on the instep of her right foot. Her ears are pierced.
Details of Disappearance
Stroh was last seen on October 15, 1987 at the Four Way Cafe and Truck Stop in Wells, Nevada. She called her parents and said she had a ride would be home the next day. She was carrying a light gray canvas suitcase, a pink purse and an orange sleeping bag at the time of her disappearance. has never been heard from again.
Stroh was a student at Reed College in Portland, Oregon at the time of her disappearance. She had taken the year off to travel and spent nine months in Asia, then began hitchhiking across the United States. She had started in New York and was on her way back to California when she vanished.
The convicted murderer Tommy Lynn Sells confessed to Stroh's murder. He said he picked her up while she was hitchhiking across the country and offered her a ride to Reno, Nevada. They took LSD together, then he strangled her, covered her body in concrete, and dumped it in a hot spring.
However, Sells was never charged in connection with Stroh's case and police believe his claims about his criminal activities are exaggerated. He was executed in 2014 for the murder of a Texas girl.
Stroh's case remains unsolved. She is considered to be missing under suspicious circumstances and foul play is suspected in her case.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Las Vegas, Nevada Office
Updated 4 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated March 9, 2022, details of disappearance updated.