Stephen Shawn Austin
Stephen, several years before his disappearance (recent photos are unavailable); Right: Age-progression to age 33 (circa 2012)
- Missing Since 08/19/1997
- Missing From El Paso, Texas
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race Black
- Date of Birth 09/22/1979 (43)
- Age 17 years old
- Height and Weight 6'1, 140 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A white t-shirt, dark blue or brown pants or jeans, white sneakers, and a round gold earring in his right ear.
- Medical Conditions Stephen suffers from heart and sinus problems. He also has asthma.
- Distinguishing Characteristics African-American male. Black hair, brown eyes. Stephen has scars on both sides of his neck and on his nose, and his right ear is pierced. His nickname is Steve. He had bad acne at the time of his 1997 disappearance.
Details of Disappearance
Stephen was disappeared from El Paso, Texas on August 19, 1997. Accounts differ as to whether he was last seen leaving his residence in the morning hours to go to school, or was last seen at his home at 11:00 p.m. that day. He resided with his parents in the 9500 block of Sims at the time of his disappearance.
Stephen has been known to abuse alcohol in the past. He'd gotten in trouble with the law before and was on juvenile probation; he vanished only one day after meeting with his probation officer for the first time.
A cousin reported seeing Stephen in 1999, two years after his disappearance, but this sighting was never confirmed and no one has heard from him since 1997. The circumstances of his disappearance are unclear.
- El Paso Police Department 915-599-5712
Updated 6 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated February 6, 2014; details of disappearance updated.