Susan Carol Cassell
Susan, circa 1991
- Missing Since 01/03/1991
- Missing From Glendale, Arizona
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Date of Birth 09/14/1955 (67)
- Age 35 years old
- Height and Weight 5'7, 140 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A nurse's pin, a jade brooch, sapphire and diamond earrings, a sapphire necklace, a wedding band, a sapphire ring and assorted pieces of costume jewelry.
- Medical Conditions Susan was pregnant at the time of her January 1991 disappearance.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, green eyes. Susan has a birthmark on the back of her neck. She wears contact lenses or eyeglasses. Susan occasionally uses her maiden name, Smith, or her maternal grandmother's maiden name, Stinett.
Details of Disappearance
Susan's husband, James F. Cassell, told authorities that his wife returned home unexpectedly from work on January 3, 1991 in Glendale, Arizona. Susan was employed as a nurse at Boswell Memorial Hospital in Sun City, Arizona at the time. She worked a double shift on the day of her disappearance. James stated that she left their four-year-old son in his care, then departed from their residence.
Susan has not been seen again. Her vehicle was located at her family's home. She never claimed several paychecks from the hospital prior to her disappearance. James took their son on an overnight camping trip on January 3. When he returned home on January 4, he reported his wife missing.
Susan's mother said that she spoke to her daughter via telephone the day she was last seen. Susan said she was tired after working a long shift and would call her mother back later. She never returned the call. Her mother stated that it was very uncharacteristic of Susan to vanish without warning. She was reportedly in good spirits at the time of her disappearance, and although she did have some problems in her marriage, she didn't have any other personal problems or medical problems.
Susan's mother described her as a social person with strong religious values. Susan was born in Michigan and her family moved to Arizona when she was a teenager. She joined the United States Army prior to her marriage to James. The couple lived in Nevada for a time before returning to Arizona.
James received a divorce from Susan in February 1992, over a year after she was last seen. James reportedly moved to Pennsylvania with their son afterwards.
Susan's case remains unsolved. Investigators suspect that foul play was involved in her disappearance, but no one has been charged in connection with her case.
- Glendale Police Department 623-930-3314
Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated January 31, 2010; details of disappearance updated.