Ted Haywood Wall
Wall, circa 1980; Sea Ox fishing boat
- Missing Since 11/13/1980
- Missing From Cape Hatteras, North Carolina
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Age 22 years old
- Height and Weight 6'1 - 6'2, weight unknown
- Associated Vehicle(s) 23-foot inboard-outboard Sea-Ox commercial fishing boat with a fiberglass center console, black outriggers, beige sides and a 280-horsepower Volvo engine. The boat's registration number was NC9304 AK and the manufacturer's number was XNA30250M79J.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Sandy blond hair, hazel eyes.
Details of Disappearance
Wall was last seen sixteen miles off the coast of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina at 1:30 p.m. on November 13, 1980. He was with a companion, Harold Jeffrey Mays, a close friend and fellow commercial fisherman. Another fisherman stated he helped Mays and Wall repair and restart their 280-horsepower Volvo engine. They have never been heard from again.
The men went out in the ocean in Mays's 23-foot inboard-outboard Sea-Ox commercial fishing boat. A photo of a similar boat is posted below this case summary. This type of boat is very difficult to sink; it has foam flotation that would keep it just beneath the surface, even if it's swamped. It has a fiberglass center console, black outriggers and beige sides. Mays and Wall's vessel's registration number was NC9304 AK and the manufacturer's number was XNA30250M79J.
The search for the men began at 9:00 p.m. and lasted for two weeks. No sign of either the boat or the missing men was ever found, in spite of an extensive search by the Coast Guard covering 104,000 square miles of ocean.
It's possible the men's disappearances were most likely drug-related; fishermen often sold drugs in the winter when business was slack. No one has been charged in their cases, however; they remain unsolved.
Mays's mother self-published a book about her son's disappearance, titled Outer Banks Piracy: Where is My Son Jeffrey? Both she and Jeffrey's best friend believe he may be alive and in Alaska.
- United States Coast Guard 252-441-0300
Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated July 19, 2018; details of disappearance updated.