Terrance Deon Williams

Williams, circa 2004; Age-progression to an unknown age

  • Missing Since 01/12/2004
  • Missing From Naples, Florida
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race Black
  • Date of Birth 01/17/1976 (48)
  • Age 27 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'8 - 6'0, 160 - 175 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A short-sleeved button-down shirt, blue jeans, brown Timberland boots, diamond earrings, and a watch with white stones surrounding the face and a silver metal band.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics African-American male. Sandy brown hair, brown eyes. Williams wore his hair in long dreadlocks at the time of his disappearance. His ears are pierced. He has a vertical surgical scar on his right shoulder, a scar on his right hand near the thumb, and a dark birthmark on the side of his abdomen. Williams has three tattoos: the initial "T" in italic above the left side of his chest, the initials "ET" in square block lettering on his outer right shoulder, and his name, "Terrance," in red ink with blue highlights on his left forearm. Williams's right upper front tooth has a gold crown with the letter "T" in it, and the tooth to the right of that one has a solid gold cap with the letter T. He may use the alias date of birth April 1, 1975. Some agencies give the date of Williams's disappearance as January 11, 2004.

Details of Disappearance

Williams was last seen in Naples, Florida on January 12, 2004. A Collier County sheriff's deputy, Corporal Steven Henry Calkins, claims he stopped him on the road. Williams was driving a white Cadillac, which was having engine problems. He did not have a valid license or insurance, his registration had expired, and the vehicle belonged to someone else. He could potentially have been cited for six moving violations.

Calkins says he did not cite Williams for anything, but dropped him off at a Circle K convenience store in the vicinity of Wiggins Pass Road and US 41. Williams told him he worked at the store. Although a press release by the sheriff's department maintained no one at the Circle K store ever had contact with Calkins, a Circle K employee stated in a press interview that she saw both Williams and Calkins that morning. She says Calkins used the store's bathroom, and Williams filled a container with gasoline and left the store alone.

Calkins later stated he left Williams at the store, returned to the Cadillac to have it towed, then called the Circle K store and discovered Williams did not really work there. However, his cellular phone records do not show the call being placed, and store employees do not remember it either. Oddly, Calkins was also the last person to see another man, Felipe Santos, who disappeared in October 2003. He got into a minor car accident and Calkins reportedly gave him a ride to a Circle K convenience store. He has never been heard from again.

Williams's parents filed a complaint against Calkins after their son's disappearance and Calkins was subsequently fired by the police department. An internal investigation exonerated Calkins of wrongdoing in the Santos case, but ruled that he had lied about the Williams case and violated agency policy.

Authorities stated that Calkins gave inconsistent accounts of the events leading up to Williams's disappearance, and eventually stopped cooperating with the investigation. He took three polygraph tests about the Williams and Santos cases, and one of the tests showed evidence of deception. Calkins, a seventeen-year veteran of the police department, had a clean record prior to this incident. He appealed the ruling, but it was upheld and his dismissal stood.

He has not been charged in the disappearances of Williams or Santos and maintains his innocence in both cases, stating he was being treated as a "scapegoat" by the department and both men had reasons of their own to walk away. Williams's mother believes her son did not leave voluntarily, however; she states that he would never let so much time pass without contacting her. He kept in almost daily touch with her before he vanished. Many of his belongings were left behind at her home.

In December 2018, Williams's family filed a wrongful death suit against Calkins. Their attorney missed a deadline to file the motion to take the case to trial, which forced it into binding arbitration instead. In December 2020, the court-appointed arbitrator decided there was insufficient evidence to find Calkins liable for Williams's death.

Williams was employed as a cook at a Pizza Hut in Bonita Springs, Florida at the time of his disappearance; he had only had been working there a few weeks. He also has work experience in the construction field. He has a criminal record for driving under the influence and trespassing and spent time in prison in the 1990s for aggravated robbery. Shortly after he vanished, a Knoxville, Tennessee court issued a warrant for his arrest for failure to pay child support.

Williams has four children by four different women. He resided at Randall Circle in Naples at the time of his disappearance. There is no evidence of foul play in Williams's case, and investigators believe he may simply be lying low to avoid being arrested, but the circumstances surrounding his disappearance are unclear. His case remains unsolved.

Some agencies report that Williams was last seen in the vicinity of 111th Avenue and Vanderbilt Drive in Naples.

Updated 11 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated May 14, 2023; distinguishing characteristics updated.