Theodoric Elton Hunter Sr.

Hunter, circa 2019; Black 2019 Nissan Altima similar to Hunter's

  • Missing Since 08/24/2019
  • Missing From Hampton, Virginia
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race Black
  • Age 49 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'10, 232 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A Port of Virginia work uniform.
  • Associated Vehicle(s) Black 2019 Nissan Altima with the Virginia license plate number UYY-5688
  • Distinguishing Characteristics African-American male. Black hair, brown eyes. Hunter's nickname is Theo.

Details of Disappearance

Hunter was last seen in the 400 block of Hollywood Avenue in Hampton, Virginia on August 24, 2019. His wife, Deirdre "Dee" Gelzhiser, stated he came to the house after work and when she asked him about a lunchtime meeting he'd had with a woman, he ended the conversation abruptly and said he "didn't want to hear her mouth."

He was still in the house at 10:30 p.m. when Gelzhiser went to bed, but when she woke up a few hours later, he was gone. His black 2019 Nissan Altima disappeared with him and he'd left his house key on the kitchen counter.

Gelzhiser was initially unconcerned, as Hunter had a habit of suddenly leaving the house without telling her. He was reported missing on August 27 after he stopped showing up for work; he really enjoyed the job and even wanted his son to apply there as well. He was employed by the Port of Virginia and worked at a shipping container terminal in Norfolk. He had recently joined the International Longshoremen's Association.

Hunter's wife stated he was secretive and had "a lot going on" in his life that she was unaware of; she had only rarely met his family, and he corresponded with many people she didn't know. Gelzhiser referred to her husband as "a walking secret." He had moved out of their home in early July that year, keeping his clothes in a locker at work, but would still "pop in and pop out." They had been married for less than a year.

Hunter owned two cellular phones at the time of his disappearance; a couple of days after he was last seen, both phones started going straight to voicemail when called and cannot be tracked. His social media and bank accounts have also been inactive. It's uncharacteristic of him to be out of touch with his family, and his loved ones are concerned for his safety.

Since his disappearance, Hunter's Nissan hasn't been recovered. A photo of a similar car is posted with this case summary; his had the Virginia license plate number UYY-5688. The plate was last picked up by a license plate reader at 3:00 a.m. on August 25, heading south on the Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel. The car has not been seen since and neither has Hunter.

He left behind two adult sons and a baby grandson. His ex-wife stated he was close to his sons and spoke to them several times a week, and that it was "way out of character" for him to leave without warning. Just ten days before he went missing, Hunter took both his children to a Nissan dealership to get them new cars; he co-signed the auto loans and promised to cover half the payments on them. His case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency

  • Hampton Police Department 757-727-6111

Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated November 25, 2020; details of disappearance updated.