Tonita Michelle Brooks
Brooks, circa 2019
- Missing Since 09/23/2019
- Missing From Durham, North Carolina
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race Black
- Date of Birth 09/30/1974 (48)
- Age 44 years old
- Height and Weight 5'0 - 5'4, 90 - 120 pounds
- Medical Conditions Brooks suffers from epileptic seizures, and her left arm and hand are paralyzed.
- Distinguishing Characteristics African-American female. Black hair, brown eyes. Brooks's nickname is Lil Bit. She walks with an noticeable limp and she has a scar on her abdomen. She may wear her hair in cornrows.
Details of Disappearance
Brooks was last seen in Durham, North Carolina on September 23, 2019. She has never been heard from again. She didn't have a stable address or telephone number at the time of her disappearance, but frequented the Holloway Street area between north Alston Avenue and Raynor Street. She would usually either walk to where she wanted to go, or accept rides with strangers.
Brooks was not reported missing until October 25, over a month after she was last seen. Although she was transient, she did keep in touch with her children and other relatives, and often visited her siblings. Her three children, twin daughters and a son, lived with her brother at the time of her disappearance.
Her family stated she has a very childlike, trusting disposition, and they are concerned for her safety. Since she went missing her grandmother, whom she was close to and called every day, and her son have both died; Brooks didn't show up for either funeral and may be unaware of the deaths. Her disappearance remains unsolved.
- Durham Police Department 919-560-4600
Updated 4 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated November 9, 2022; distinguishing characteristics updated.