Una Mae Herd

Herd, circa 2006

  • Missing Since 06/25/2006
  • Missing From Sherman, Texas
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 07/02/1924 (100)
  • Age 81 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'0 - 5'4, 140 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description Tan or white capri pants, a blue checkered short-sleeved button-up shirt, ankle socks, sneakers and sunglasses with black lenses and brown frames.
  • Medical Conditions Herd suffers from high blood pressure, diabetes and a disease of the thyroid. She is in need of medication. She did not suffer from Alzheimer's Disease or any other form of dementia at the time of her disappearance, and she was physically fit.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Gray hair, brown/green eyes. Herd has scars on both knees from knee replacement surgery, and her ears are pierced. She wears eyeglasses. Her nickname is Meme. Some agencies give her first name as "Uma."

Details of Disappearance

Herd was last seen in Sherman, Texas on June 25, 2006. She left her home in the 1200 block of Harrison during the early morning hours to go for a walk at Harrison and Lewis Streets. She was last seen five blocks from her home, in the area of Old Settlers Park.

Herd apparently never returned home and has never been heard from again. She was supposed to have breakfast with her great-granddaughter at the Whataburger, a local fast food restaurant, at 9:00 a.m. the day of her disappearance. They had been meeting there regularly for ten years. She never showed up for the meal and was reported missing at 10:00 a.m.

Herd left behind all her belongings, including her wallet and driver's license. After her disappearance, her purse, a cup of coffee and the morning newspaper were found on her kitchen table. Her car was in the garage and the burglar alarm was turned off. Her house key was initially thought to be missing, but when her family cleaned out the residence in 2007 they found the key in a flowerpot back the door.

Herd had lived in the same house since 1976, and her husband died fourteen years prior to her disappearance. She normally followed a set schedule, including her morning walk and breakfast with her great-granddaughter. Her family had her declared legally dead a year after her disappearance. Foul play is suspected in Herd's case, which remains unsolved.

Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated July 19, 2010; details of disappearance updated.