Walter Shannon Stevenson
Stevenson, circa 2009; Jeffrey May
- Missing Since 10/01/2009
- Missing From Memphis, Tennessee
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 05/15/1976 (47)
- Age 33 years old
- Height and Weight 5'6 - 5'7, 130 - 165 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A t-shirt, cotton pants, sneakers, a wide gold band-type ring and a cross necklace.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes. Stevenson goes by his middle name, Shannon. His hair was cut in a mohawk style at the time of his disappearance. He has a tattoo of the word "MANIAC" on his lower arm and a tattoo of a sun on his right arm. His ears are pierced and he has a piercing below his bottom lip.
Details of Disappearance
Stevenson was last seen in Memphis, Tennessee on October 1, 2009. He called his grandmother's home from the home of an acquaintance, Jeffrey May, in the 2700 block of Misty Valley, in the Highway 64 and Houston Levee area.
He initially asked his grandmother to pick him up and take him to her house in the 3700 block of Epworth, but later said he'd gotten another ride. He never arrived there and has never been heard from again. All his personal belongings, including his car, were left behind.
Stevenson had a troubled past. He had previously served fourteen months of a thirty-month sentence in a Florida prison for burglary and robbery; he was paroled in September 2008, a little over a year before his disappearance.
His grandmother stated he had a drug problem, but said he'd never stayed away from home for more than a day or two at a time and had always kept in regular touch with her.
In September 2017, May was charged with second-degree murder in Stevenson's presumed death. A photo of May is posted with this case summary. Investigators haven't released any information about the case against him. He is awaiting trial.
Although his body has not been recovered, foul play is suspected in Stevenson's disappearance due to the circumstances involved.
- Memphis Police Department 901-636-4479
Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated September 8, 2017; picture added, distinguishing characteristics and details of disappearance updated.