William Wayne Hilderbrand
Hilderbrand, circa 2010
- Missing Since 11/04/2010
- Missing From Bangor, Maine
- Classification Lost/Injured Missing
- Sex Male
- Race Native American
- Date of Birth 01/21/1988 (35)
- Age 22 years old
- Height and Weight 5'10, 155 pounds
- Medical Conditions Hilderbrand has a history of suicide attempts.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Native American male. Black hair, hazel eyes. Hilderbrand is transgender; she lives and dresses as a woman and uses the Jael, which is pronounced like the letters JL. She may also use the nickname Billy. Hilderbrand is a member of the Passamaquoddy Indian tribe.
Details of Disappearance
Hilderbrand was last seen at the Joshua Chamberlain Bridge over the Penobscot River just before midnight on November 4, 2010. Passing motorists called the police to report a woman standing at the edge of the overpass near the Bangor side of the river.
When law enforcement officers arrived, they saw Hilderbrand jump into the water. She did not resurface and an multiple searches of the river turned up no sign of her. Police later found a purse on the bridge with Hilderbrand's cellular phone and identification inside.
Although she is an excellent swimmer, she may have been intoxicated at the time of her disappearance, and the Penobscot River has a swift current and is very cold in November. A person who falls in will be overcome with hypothermia within minutes.
Hilderbrand graduated Shead High School in 2006 and worked as an escort and an exotic dancer for the Cinnamon's Sweets club, and studied cosmetology at Mr. Bernard's School of Hair Fashion in Bangor prior to her disappearance.
Although she was declared legally dead in 2014, authorities stated her case would be considered open until her body was found and identified.
- Bangor Police Department 207-947-7382
Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated March 25, 2017; middle name added.