Yvonne Katharina Belcher
Belcher, circa 2000
- Missing Since 12/22/2000
- Missing From Green Cove Springs, Florida
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Date of Birth 05/05/1975 (48)
- Age 25 years old
- Height and Weight 5'1, 100 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A gray and black Jacksonville Jaguars sweater, blue jeans and sneakers.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Belcher has a tattoo of a dagger with a blood drop on her upper right breast. She has a heart tattooed on her right ankle. Belcher has a cross-shaped scar on one of her upper arms and another scar on her right breast. She used her first husband's last name, Belcher, in 2000. Her maiden name is Weiss and her married name in 2000 was Owens.
Details of Disappearance
Belcher was last seen in Green Cove Springs, Florida on December 22, 2000. She and her husband, Jesse A. Owens (nicknamed "Andy") resided with his mother on Highland Avenue. The couple argued during the early morning hours and the police were summoned to the house to end the dispute. Owens told authorities that he saw Belcher walk down Highland Avenue at approximately 2:30 a.m. The temperatures were at the freezing mark at the time.
One of Belcher's friends told investigators that he gave her a ride to an undisclosed residence several blocks away from Vermont Street shortly after 2:30 a.m. He said that he waited several minutes for Belcher to return to his car before departing from the house. Another friend reported seeing her walking along Vermont Street towards Florida Route 16 around daybreak. Belcher has never been heard from again.
Owens reported Belcher as a missing person two days after her initial disappearance. He stated that his wife had a history of leaving their home for several days after arguments. Authorities said that Owens and Belcher had a stormy relationship. He was arrested and charged with beating her shortly before their March 2000 wedding.
Officials stated that Owens cooperated with the investigation into Belcher's disappearance and was not considered a suspect. Both he and his wife were arrested on drug and alcohol charges prior to 2000. Owens is now deceased. Authorities searched his home in 2005, but turned up no evidence.
Authorities said that they believed foul play was involved in Belcher's disappearance. Extensive searches of the area produced no clues as to her whereabouts. Investigators received tips that Belcher may have relocated to the Daytona Beach, Florida or Fort Lauderdale, Florida areas to work as a dancer. The leads did not produce any evidence as to her whereabouts. Her family members said that it is uncharacteristic of Belcher to leave for an extended period of time without warning.
Belcher was born in the former West Germany and moved to the United States with her parents during her childhood. She was employed as a dancer in a Jacksonville, Florida establishment and a server in a restaurant at Cattail Creek Golf Club near Florida Route 16 prior to 2000. Belcher's case remains unsolved.
- Green Cove Springs Police Department 904-529-2220
Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated May 22, 2006; picture added, details of disappearance updated.