Stephen Scott Hammerle
Hammerle, circa 1981; Two of Hammerle's tattoos
- Missing Since 08/22/1981
- Missing From Manhattan, Kansas
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 08/18/1955 (67)
- Age 26 years old
- Height and Weight 5'10, 145 - 170 pounds
- Medical Conditions Hammerle was paralyzed from the waist down at the time of his disappearance; he used a wheelchair and a colostomy bag. He also suffers from cluster headaches and had all his upper teeth extracted as a result.
- Associated Vehicle(s) Red van
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes. Hammerle's nickname is Stevie. He may spell his first name "Steven" or use the last name Faircloth. He had long hair and a beard and mustache at the time of his disappearance. Hammerle has a scar near his left eye. He has the following homemade tattoos: the words "LOVE LISA" across his fingers, the word "Love" and a small eagle on his upper right arm, a cat or leopard on his left arm, a man on his right forearm, the name "Leo" on his upper left arm, the words "Born to Run" on one arm, the name "Joey" on one arm, and a devil driving on his left forearm. Photos of some of the tattoos are posted with this case summary. Hammerle has had all his upper teeth extracted.
Details of Disappearance
Hammerle was last seen in Manhattan, Kansas on August 22, 1981. He left a birthday party in the 1000 block of Poyntz Avenue in a red van with another man, Joseph Grasher, and two other individuals. Hammerle and Grasher have never been heard from again and their van has not been located.
Few details are available in the men's cases, but foul play is suspected.
- Riley County Police Department 785-537-2112
Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated April 29, 2021; picture added, distinguishing characteristics updated.