Virgil Eugene Bonham Jr.
Bonham, circa 1978
- Missing Since 11/05/1978
- Missing From Placer County, California
- Classification Lost/Injured Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Age 38 years old
- Height and Weight 5'8, 140 pounds
- Associated Vehicle(s) 12-foot fiberglass boat (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, hazel eyes. Bonham goes by his middle name, Eugene. He smokes Pall Mall cigarettes. He has a tattoo of a devil on his shoulder.
Details of Disappearance
Bonham disappeared with Arnold Tittel. The men left to go boating together at Folsom Lake in Placer County, California on November 5, 1978. They were last sighted at 12:30 p.m., on the way there, at a service station near a freeway entrance at Marysville Boulevard. They were supposed to return by 5:00 p.m., but never did.
At 3:00 p.m., another boater noticed the men's 12-foot fiberglass boat adrift in the lake, still intact and functional. Both Bonham and Tittel were gone. Their car was found in the parking lot with personal items inside it. The only things that were missing were the men's cigarettes and lighters; both were heavy smokers.
The day the pair disappeared was overcast, but conditions were good for boating: it was warm, with little wind. Tittel and Bonham are both considered excellent swimmers. They are presumed to have drowned, but their bodies have never been located.
- Placer County Sheriff's Department 530-889-7800
Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated October 21, 2022; casefile added.